Table of Contents
- How to let your students know your online class URL – Ground rules to safely meet instructors and students
- Basics (for Students)
- Basics (for Instructors)
How to let your students know your online class URL – Ground rules to safely meet instructors and students
Basics (for Students)
- You MUST
- Check UTAS on syllabus -> “Details” -> “Online Class URL” and finally look at (procedures) and then participate in the class.
- On ITC-LMS, students register for the class and click (“Search courses” -> “Class Registration”). Like this, students can read and obtain class information (procedures). (Caution：If students save as bookmark on UTAS, the students can see on ITC-LMS automatically but it will take 1 day to show up.)
- Arranging your adress on UTAS enables you to receive information from UTAS.
- On ITC-LMS, click “Settings”-> “notifications”. Then you can set a given email address. (Procedure).
- Rule and details may vary depending on your school/ department. Please read and follow instructions from your school/ department.
- As much as possible,
Students should activate Office 365, obtained by 10 digit number university’s account (10-digit email@example.com). Caution: There is no need to download office software to your computer, since you can use it online with your browser.
- Students should use ECCS Cloud Mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- and 2. above are to share the important information between students and teachers.
- Some department, faculty, and classes require the use of 1. and 2.
Procedures are described in Preparing for online classes for new and currently enrolled students .
Basics (for Instructors)
- Syllabus on UTAS -> “Details” -> “Online Class URL” -> input your class URL here. <!–
- UTASで教員の連絡先を登録する. 個別に連絡を取りたがっている学生がいるかも知れないことに常に注意を払う. –>
- Register Classes schedule/ cancellation (On the upper menu: “Cancellation / supplementary schedule” -> “Register cancellations/ makeup classes”).
UTAS limitations and how to avoid it
- You can fill in ONLY ONE URL on “Online class URL” on UTAS.
- We are still studying alternatives in order to make possible a list for all classroom URLs and ask password for protection.
Because of the reasons above, if you tell one more URL to students,you must do as follows (Teachers must choose one way that you feel to be safe and reliable).
- On ITC-LMS, you can register the Online Class URL in “notification” . If students are not registered for the class, they will be directed to the registration screen by clicking on the link. If registered, students will be led to the class page. (Procedure)
- (For non ITC-LMS users) You can add the URL to other columns in UTAS (ex: Class Syllabus -> Details -> “notes”). Teachers need to make clear where the “Online Class URL” will be posted.
General Consideration for access restriction to classes
Access restriction is one of the difficult question in terms of security and accessibility.
- If there is NO access restriction, outsiders can easily enter the classroom.
On the other hand, if there are strict access restrictions, some students may not be able to enter the classroom. (e.g., Forget ID or password, mistyping IDs or password).
- The most reliable way is to restrict access to the meeting room itself.
- Zoom have the setting, “accept only authorized Zoom users”. Additionally, Zoom also have “ accept only @g.ecc.u-tokyo.ac.jp user”.Zoom
- If someone who does not use ECCS Cloud Mail account (email@example.com) enter Google Hangouts Meet, organizers give permission to enter the room. Therefore, the organizer can protect the meeting room from outsiders.
- How about Webex?
- Another way is that the meeting URL is open to everyone but the link paste on UTAS and/or ICT-LMS. As a result, only UTokyo students have access to the URL.
- Those (i.e., students) who live in Republic of China can not access Google Hangouts Meet.
- Online Classes
- for students (2020 A Semester)
- for instructors (2020 A Semester)
- ITC-LMS (for instructors)
- Sharing Class URL
(for students/ instructors)
- Misc. applications/reporting forms
- QA Forum, ML, etc.
- Network equipments support
- Class supporter
- Report troubles on entering class rooms
- Register school/faculty contact persons for students
- Register school/faculty web pages